Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Why my son is the smelly kid in class.


Yes. I think my son may be that stinky kid in class.
But, hold up. It is not because he does not bathe!
Lincoln does not smell bad, at all. He smells like oils, and I think he smells marvelous!
Every morning before school we have a routine where I roll an essential oil blend on specific points on his body. We are doing this as a way to help him with his attention issues in class, along with a few other things that have been known to increase attention span in children.


Let me also set the record straight, I am not trying to diagnose my child. I know that he has attention span issues. It is very, very evident. But, I also know that kindergarten nowadays can be ridiculous and I do not agree with their expectations set upon my child. While we are in school there I will do my darndest to make sure Lincoln has whatever advantage I can give him so he does not feel labeled or left behind.


 I read an article that over viewed the symptoms, causes and ways aromatherapy can help with Behavioral Disorders. I am not a doctor, but I can read and be proactive now while he is young! This article was very, very informative.  ~
"Where psychopharmaceuticals can provide immediate relief to difficult symptoms, the body provides the door for healing and protecting itself, and given the right environment, it is able to thrive and heal from outside influences.  We hold the key to opening that door of healing through natural nourishment.  Awareness, education, and finally our nutritional choices, provide the body with the keys to heal and protect itself.  Psychoaromacology is a very promising method of treatment and provides immediate relief as well as long term healing.  Mental health and nutrition are not a separate entity.  They are interlinked and one in the same body (literally), therefore need to be treated as such and nature has provided so many solutions. The research is there, and it is scientifically proven.  Practical application takes education and dedication, however the results are life long and invaluable." (Danielle Daniel https://www.aromaticscience.com/source/behavioral-disorders-adhd-causes-essential-solutions/)

I have been doing these oils now for almost a month and we are absolutely noticing a difference. We are doing many other things like: probiotics, decreased grains and sugars, taking dha/fish oils, doing yoga and doing more one on one time for homework in the evenings. So, it is hard to say if one thing in particular is helping more than the other things. I just know that he really is able to relax and we enjoy our morning ritual of putting the oils on. He likes to call them his "thinking oils". :)


My friend, Hillary, that gave us the blend told me what was in it:

"Oils in your blend are- Balance, Patchouli, Serenity, Lavender and Vetiver
Balance is a grounding blend, it contains Spruce, Rosewood, Blue Tansy and Frankincense. It's to bring a feeling of calmness, peace and relaxation. Aid in Harmonizing the various physiological systems of the body and promote tranquility and a sense of balance.
Serenity- Lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, and Vanilla Bean Extract. Relaxing blend to help calm and soothe feeling of stress, excitement, and anxiety to help the body maintain its natural state of health."

Here are some studies I have found on the science behind essential oils, for any skeptics out there.
This one is my favorite, about the use of Vetiver EO and how it suppresses the decline in attention https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/biomedres/33/5/33_299/_pdf  

Matricaria chamomilla may also help improve symptoms
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19097772 

Just the abstract here, but it looks interesting. How our olfactory system can effect our moods and behavior
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20923005

I like this because it simply describes how essential oils work and is not a .com website, or endorsed by a company http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/explore-healing-practices/aromatherapy/how-do-essential-oils-work

I love the fact that everyone is jumping on board this essential oil train. I am not loyal to a brand, nor do I love the pyramid stuff associated with some of the brands of oils. I do think it is a great tool to use if you have any ailments, especially to try before reaching for man made medicine. We have had lots of luck healing up cold sores, ear infections and tension with essential oils as well. And on that note we NEVER ingest the oils, only apply topically. :)

I will go on letting my kid be the smelly kid in class. At least it is a beneficial and pleasant aroma.




No comments:

Post a Comment