Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chicken No-nos

Welcome to the "I'm a Natural Parent - BUT..." Carnival
This post was written for inclusion in the carnival hosted by The Artful Mama and Natural Parents Network. During this carnival our participants have focused on the many different forms and shapes Natural Parenting can take in our community.
***
    So I am doing this post for something called a "blog carnival". Its basically a network of like-minded bloggers and blog topics that link to each other. The topic for this one I thought was perfect for me. It is called  "I'm a Natural Parent BUT..." Yes, I really do a lot I can to live and parent naturally but not everything I do would be considered "crunchy". There are definitely some Natural Parent no-nos that we still do.
The famous Mcdonalds chicken nuggets


   SO here it is. I am a Natural Parent BUT.... my son basically lives off chicken nuggets and nitrate laden meats (bologna and hot dogs) . We started him too young on fast food and cheap meats, before I ever really got into healthy eating and healthy natural living. So he just LOVES him some chicken nuggets. He especially loves the (dun dun dun) McDonalds kind.
   And OH boy do I have super mommy guilt over it! I KNOW how nasty those things are. How unhealthy. Salt-ridden and greasy not to mention the ridiculous amount of ingredients including non-food chemicals! Here is a breakdown of some of the ingredients of these "all white-meat chicken nuggets": http://www.thehealthyboy.com/2010/06/whats-really-in-mcdonalds-chicken.html    so I can't act like I do not know how yucky they are for him. I want to change his habits, but haven't done so fully yet. Well, here you are. My shameful Natural Parenting admission. I feed my older son like crap sometimes. And I really really want to change that.

***

I'm a Natural Parent — But … Blog CarnivalThis carnival was created by The Artful Mama and Natural Parents Network. We recognize that "natural parenting" means different things to different families, and we are dedicated to providing a safe place for all families, regardless of where they are in their parenting journeys.

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

8 comments:

  1. I guess we really do all have our "little secret" parenting choices that we wish were different! I am sure you are making changes without even realizing it given that you want those changes to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew. Is that what a chicken nugget looks like?! Oh my - I don't think I'll ever order those again ;) On the other hand, I *try* to get my 4yo to eat homemade chicken nuggets, and he turns his nose up at them. Pfft!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had great success with making my own chicken nuggets (breaded, baked chicken breast chunks) which my son loves. =) Here's my recipe: http://www.anktangle.com/2011/03/foodie-friday-gf-chicken-nuggets.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, now I want to read Amy's recipe for homemade nuggets, that sounds interesting. Hopefully posting this brings you some relief as the ladies mentioned.

    For the most part we've switched to the chicken strips at McD's when we visit (which can be substituted for a little xtra charge). They might be a bit more healthy. ;) Nice to meet you Momma Pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ew. Is that what a chicken nugget looks like?! Oh my - I don't think I'll ever order those again ;) On the other hand, I *try* to get my 4yo to eat homemade chicken nuggets, and he turns his nose up at them. Pfft!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lately I've been craving sausages like crazy... and I've been sharing the sausages with my children. As for chicken nuggets, we've been making our own, too. Oven baked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that link is incredible! Yikes.

    My motto with nutrition is I do what I can, when I can. Sometimes a quick meal is what is needed in the moment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol. I don't have kids yet, but have a surprising large number of mom blogs on my blogroll. When I have kids I'll definitely lean in the "crunchy" direction, but I doubt we'll completely avoid McDs. I grew up on McNuggets and survived.

    ReplyDelete